It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:56 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Would YOU still go to Church?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:39 pm 

If this was happening at Churches in your city?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/09/30 ... -in-kenya/

What admirable Christians these are, who take the risk of Martyrdom - for themselves and their children - every time they attend Church.

Post subject: Re: Would YOU still go to Church?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:30 pm 

I would think that would depend on many things. If it was routinely happen, I would think it might be wise to hold services someplace else. I know many who are in underground churches because of such things. Would I keep worshiping, yes! Would I be a target knowingly? Probably not. I'm not sure if one who knows it will happen and puts themselves and their children in harms way, when there might be other options are necessarily good Martyrs. Just my initial thoughts on your question.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:48 pm 

It's a terrorist attack - they're never predictable.

Looking at the Church facility, I'm thinking that their houses probably are not adequate to host an invisible, American style "HouseChurch" Anyplace Christians gather would attract attention, it seems to me.

I suspect that when these martyrs stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ, they will hear "Well Done Thou Good and Faithful Servant." I would never doubt such martyrdom was "good" - myself.

I admire their faithfulness & wish I could confidently say that I would be so faithful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:50 am 

I guess what I was trying to say is... is this always martyrdom? Perhaps I am confused on that a bit. Is going to church in any condition of unrest considered an act of martyrdom if they die? What is considered martyrdom? Guess I'll go look into that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:16 am 

If you lose your life in this earth because you were a faithful Christian, that is Martyrdom.

A huge percentage of Martyrs could have saved their earthly lives by hiding, sneaking or lying about their faith, but chose not to. (Think of the Prophet Daniel - praying was outlawed - he chose to go in FRONT OF THE WINDOW to pray. Of course, God preserved his life, but many who were Martyred have similar stories)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:13 am 

Um...Yes. Anywhere two or more are gathered in the name of Christ is "church." Would I take my child back to the place where they saw a grenade detonate and other children injured or killed? No. I wouldn't. If every church [building] was constantly threatened, then we would find somewhere else to meet. Christian martyrdom is when someone is killed because they refuse to renounce Christ or accept a belief or practice that runs in opposition to God's Word. See Rome. Many brethren met in homes and had symbols that let each other know who they were without broadcasting it. The cross, for example, wasn't so recognizable then, as it is now. The fish, same thing. The Christians killed in the arena weren't normally caught because they met in public places, but because they were caught (usually from tip offs to officials) and refused to renounce their faith.

ETA: I'm not trying to sideline or diminish tragedy. I hope it doesn't sound like that. I just think prudence is as valuable as faithfulness. That doesn't mean lying or anything. Just, prayerful decision-making. Especially with children to shepherd.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:22 pm 

I would be faithful with going to church if at all possible, yes. If a priest is serving the liturgy and the Eucharist, we will ideally do what we can to be there. I say "ideally" because I'm human like everyone else, and I hope I'd be brave enough to go.

A Russian priest was killed a couple of years ago just for being in the church and serving (same with a myriad of Russians over the last century). They weren't necessarily asked verbally to deny their faith; many were killed just for being faithful Christians and going to church. They are considered martyrs by the church.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:46 pm 

I sometimes think about the possibility of someone attacking our church. It's possible at any church. We take a risk every time we go. A smaller risk then in other countries, but still a risk. The church I used to go to had a man come with a gun and start shooting and a couple people were killed.

I think and hope I would still go to church in a situation like that, whether it's an underground church or not. I don't think one is right or wrong. I think the church has a history of meeting underground during times of persecution and I think that's what would happen here. Christians in China meet underground and I've read interesting books on it. I used to want to be a Bible smuggler in China and still would if I didn't have a family. If I could meet discreetly in an underground church, I would. But I don't think people who meet openly are less of a martyr. I think a martyr is someone who is killed for being a Christian. I read a book about one of the victims of columbine and she was asked at gunpoint if she was a Christian and she said yes and was killed. She was a martyr. Some Christians would say she was not smart and she should have just lied and God would have understood, or she could have asked forgiveness later, or even that it wouldn't matter if she lied because she would know she's a Christian and so would God. I don't agree with that.

The people at that church were attacked for being Christians. They are martyrs in my book. I don't think it matters why they were there and not meeting in secret and I don't think it matters to God.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:52 pm 

Very well said, Lisa. I had typed something that got "bumped" by your comment, and I'm glad - you said it SO much better than I did : )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:32 pm 

Well I think we're debating denotation and connotation here, and that's not necessary. The girl at Columbine perfectly illustrates what I was talking about with Rome. She confessed her faith when she was challenged. That is good. I'm not saying don't do that. I'm certainly not advocating lying. I'm saying that if I knew snipers or bombers were camping my church building, I wouldn't go there. Especially with my children. I don't think it's right to endanger children in the name of a faith they might not even own yet. I'm not saying that's what these people did (the article is pretty general); just if *I* knew it was highly likely, *I* would go underground. The gospel doesn't spread by daring the enemies of the faith to maim and kill us. It just spreads in spite of hostility. That doesn't mean we need to throw obstacles in our own path just so we can overcome them.