It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:36 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Noah and Babel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:05 am 

Yesterday DD came out of Sunday school talking about how Noah disobeyed God and that's how/why the Tower of Babel was built. I read the account in the NIV and the KJV and can't really see any direct correlation. I could see that *as a group* people might have disobeyed the injunction to "fill the earth," but without know the Hebrew, I couldn't make a strong case either way. Do I put this down to misinterpretation on DD's part, or should I question the teacher about the teaching materials? Or is what DD is saying a commonly held interpretation that I missed? I'm not trying to start a hot debate, I honestly don't know what to to say to DD except to read the passages and point out my own observations. Thanks for any insight.

Post subject: Re: Noah and Babel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:58 am 

I have never heard that (I've been exposed to a wide variety of demoninations' doctrines), and see no reason - even remote - to think that from the text. Noah was a righteous man. The genealogy is listed between the two events - giving indication these events were probably separated by a lot of time.

I think the original languages can be helpful if the English is unclear or inexact for some reason, but I don't see that need here.

When I taught Children's Church, I usually had the kids do a homemade pictionary-type game - drawing pictures of the lesson for other kids to guess at. Because, once in a while, a kid draws a picture of something like, say, the Lions Eating Daniel! And, that way I could help them with any misconceptions.

It is most likely that your daughter just misunderstood. But I WOULD double-check with the teacher for two reasons 1) the teacher will want to know if kids are misunderstanding her teaching, so she can be clearer and 2) it is *possible* that the teacher did teach that for some reason, and you would want to know that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:21 am 

I would question the teacher. This has come up a lot with us, I like when they just use the Bible to teach Sunday School and especially not some 'commentary' or questionable materials. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Noah disobeyed God and caused the events in the Tower of Babel incident. The Bible does expound on the goodness of Noah:

OT
6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. 9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God...22 Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he. (Concerning building the Ark)

7:1 And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation...5 And Noah did according unto all that the Lord commanded him...9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth...28 And Noah lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years. 29 And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years: and he died.

NT
Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

2 Peter 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

Any disobedience would fall on Noah's great-grandson, Nimrod, son of Cush, son of Ham. For Babel was his kingdom.

10:1 Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood...5 By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations. 6 And the sons of Ham; Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and Canaan. 7 And the sons of Cush; Seba, and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raamah, and Sabtechah: and the sons of Raamah; Sheba, and Dedan. 8 And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth. 9 He was a mighty hunter before the Lord: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the Lord. 10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.

I really get upset when 'teachers' misinterpret the Bible out of ignorance or carelessness not just intentionally. Either way the Bible is clear that teachers will be held to a higher standard. We are still doing damage control because our pastor said a few things not found in the Bible to diminish the character of Abraham (said he was a pagan idol worshipper) and a few others (calling the Wise men 'sorcerers' when the Bible does not say that). And no, we are no longer attending his church.

edited to correct that it was Nimrod whose kingdom was Babel.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:48 am 

I've never heard that interpretation before now. I would gently ask the teacher about the lesson and allow her to speak for herself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:05 pm 

Have you asked your dd if the teacher actually taught that? Ds came home recently saying God was selfish because He gets all the glory for Himself. The teacher had taught that God gets all the glory and ds had come to his own conclusion that it was selfish so that was something I had to address with him. Made me glad I ask about what he learned in SS, because you never know what they may be taught or what misconceptions they may come up with. SS is good, but it's not a substitute for teaching your kids the Bible, which is primarily the parents responsibility, so it's good you are being involved in what she's learning.

I would pray for wisdom in finding and showing the truth to your dd. Then show her what the Bible actually says and ask if she sees any correlation Do your best and tell what you believe. Tell her the Bible is the ultimate truth and authority and that she needs to make sure any things she hears or believes need to line up with what the Bible says and if they don't, they need to be thrown out. It's good to have a good relationship with her teacher and if dd says she was taught this or she's not sure, talk to the teacher. I sometimes get out of SS before ds and stand outside the door and listen to what they're teaching, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:02 pm 

I love all the quotes. We did reread the account of Babel, and I read from when they left the ark up to the genealogies for her so we could see what God commanded Noah and his sons. And I did ask her about if they really said that, and she was emphatic. She is 6 1/2, though. I guess I'll ask the teacher next week. And maybe research the curriculum company. I know the teachers don't make up their own lesson plans. Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:26 pm 

I hope you'll let us know what the teacher says. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 pm 

I found the teacher's guide to the children's curriculum our church uses (it looks like a storage site that a church used to upload the manual, but I don't know for sure). But even after reading the forum rules, I'm not entirely sure if posting the link is ok. It's a big company (I think); I hate to say anything negative, but some of the literature's conclusions and comments concern me. It basically makes a big deal about the people not scattering and almost entirely sidelines the sin of pride committed in building the tower. Noah is not directly mentioned in the material, although it doesn't give the impression that much time had passed between disembarking and building. The most blatantly wrong tidbit was that the people scattered because of their sin; they had to go find people who spoke their new language. The Bible says GOD scattered them and confused their language. There's more, but I don't want to harp. I can post the link if that's ok, and if so, y'all can form your own opinions. Otherwise, suffice it to say that the fuzzy logic and writing are making me wonder if we should skip Sunday school or if I should follow along in this PDF and mitigate any damage done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:47 pm 

That sounds like one of the papers that was sent home from my ds's SS class and we are using the Gospel Project curriculum from Lifeway. Is it the same one? I don't have any problem with the materials ds brought home, but I would have a problem if they were teaching that stuff about Noah that you mentioned. If it is the same curriculum, could you post the link?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:43 am 

If you think the curriculum is not Godly, speak to the Pastor & or the person who has chosen it about getting it changed. And, the Pastor would want to be aware if the Sunday School is constantly teaching non-Biblical stuff (if not, well, I'd say you need a different Pastor - IMO - heresy is one of the few REALLY GOOD reasons I know for changing one's Church situation) You should talk to the Pastor for the sake of your child & all the other kids in the classes.

It is my feeling that the benefit of Sunday School is not primarily education (I do THAT at home - and way more than they could do for an hour on Sunday morning). I think the big benefit is fellowship with other Christian kids, and doing some fun Christian activities together (like little craft projects & things). I'd hate to see your child miss out on that part of Sunday School, especially if she enjoys it.