It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:54 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Raquel -- DCFS trouble
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:50 pm 

Raquel has 2 diabetic children. She took them in for a checkup today, and their A1C levels (an indication of how well their diabetes has been managed over the last three months) were WAY too high. Because Raquel is in school full time, she isn't home much of the day, and isn't able to supervise her kids. The older children who stay at home will not take care of them. The son is in a program with the state for now, and will be going to a charter school when he is done. The daughter is homeschooled, but Raquel has had trouble getting her academics going this year. Raquel lives in a poor neighborhood, and the local elementary school is a very bad place to leave kids all day.

The doctor is giving Raquel 2 months to bring the kids' A1C levels down, or he will call DCFS to have these two children taken away. He is also insisting that the daughter be put in public school.

Post subject: Re: Raquel -- DCFS trouble
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm 

When a doctor is not your friend but your enemy. I am sorry to hear she has to add that as one of her worries now. I am going to assume these kids have Type 1 diabetes. Even so this information may be helpful. I am trying to get my own sister (type 2) to go Dr. McDougall's 2 week intensive program before she dies. She is 2 yrs younger than me yet looks and is in worse health than our 87yr old mom.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/dec/diabetes.htm

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:20 pm 

I'm sorry Raquel is having trouble with this on top of everything else. Know that I'll be praying for her. Is there a way she can set aside which foods these two children need to eat in order to keep their blood sugar levels where they need to be?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:31 pm 

Can she switch doctors?
I'll be in prayer for her and the dc. It's so sad when doctors make these kinds of threats instead of working with parents on a solution, they make more problems! It's none of his business where anyone goes to school. Why is it that public school becomes the answer to all of life's problems?? grrrrrrr!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:38 pm 

Scott Bryce wrote:
Raquel has 2 diabetic children. She took them in for a checkup today, and their A1C levels (an indication of how well their diabetes has been managed over the last three months) were WAY too high. Because Raquel is in school full time, she isn't home much of the day, and isn't able to supervise her kids. The older children who stay at home will not take care of them. The son is in a program with the state for now, and will be going to a charter school when he is done. The daughter is homeschooled, but Raquel has had trouble getting her academics going this year. Raquel lives in a poor neighborhood, and the local elementary school is a very bad place to leave kids all day.

The doctor is giving Raquel 2 months to bring the kids' A1C levels down, or he will call DCFS to have these two children taken away. He is also insisting that the daughter be put in public school.

I second Tory's advice, switch doctors. Is there any one else she can find that would help her with the kids while she is away? What kind of curricula is she using?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:06 pm 

Man, this is tough, as I would do just about anything to assure that my kids are not taken by DCFS. I'd find a trusted neighbor, friend, older homeschooling teen, family member that I could have come into my home (or my younger kids could go to their home) who could be there to assist with the homeschooling, the diabetic issues... so that I could show that proper care and supervision was happening. I know it is tough when you are on a tight budget to pay for such help, so perhaps a barter/trade could be arranged.

I have a friend whose son has type I diabetes and his numbers were way too high much of his younger years and into puberty. Diet helped but did not eliminate the high numbers, no matter what they did. When he attended public schools during that time, the nurse often called Mom because she didn't know what to do, even though the Mom had gone over all the information and left a sheet with step by step instructions. Being in school is not a cure for such things. Wish the doctor was realistic about it.

I'll be praying that a solution is found. I know that older siblings can watch younger ones, but it is never the ideal for anyone on a daily basis. Finding an alternative would be good all around in my opinion (having been one of the older kids in a family of 7 kids).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:05 am 

When the daughter was in a public charter school, nobody was making sure she took her insulin. So being in school will not necessarily be a solution. The older kids at home all have psych problems, as does the diabetic son. They won't look after her. She suggested to the doctors that I drop in on the daughter at home, and they said they would NEVER let a man be alone in the house with a 9-year-old girl. It is like they don't want to find a solution.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:32 am 

It IS a serious situation, Scott. I had a friend in school who had a working, widowed Mom & type 1 diabetes that was not managed. She became blind because of the disease not being managed properly.

Some solution HAS to be found - not just because of DCFS (don't even get me started on them!) but for the sake of the child's health & possibly life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:32 pm 

Scott, could you go anyway and just not tell the doctor about it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:32 pm 

I don't know if either child takes Lantus insulin, but dh had horrible experiences with Lantus. He had a family doctor prescribe it, who really didn't know anything about diabetes. He had several near death experiences before we got to a good endocrinologist who promptly took him off Lantus. If this doctor is not an endocrinologist, maybe going to one would help. They may be more knowledgeable about managing childhood diabetes. Hope she can get it all worked out.