It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:33 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Noah and Babel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:36 pm 

http://storage.cloversites.com/firstbaptistchurch95/documents/TGPVO1K_U1_Worship_Guide_2.pdf

It is Lifeway. The Tower of Babel lesson is pages 48-61 in the file. We use the adult materials in our class and I'm not impressed. It's rather broad and a lot of commentary. Perhaps that's how all Sunday school literature is; I don't know. I've been in Sunday school for a year now and before that hadn't been in 17 years. And I was raised a different denomination entirely. But to me, if literature doesn't focus in depth on the Bible, then it's pointless and there would be more benefit in an hour of fellowship and prayer. I have never seen the actual children's curriculum until last night. I have far bigger concerns with it than with the adult material, both biblical and literary. I'm not sure I'd call it unGodly, but possibly presumptuous. Except the one part where it misquotes God. I have a big issue with that (page 50, God's response to the tower). I may mention it to someone, but I don't expect a favorable reaction. Our pastor has already said that they've received a lot of positive response to the Gospel Project curriculum. And I have no idea how much liberty the teachers take with the material. Our class gets side-tracked pretty easily.

ETA: I read through the first 3 lessons and it all seems normal and fine. Except I disagree that God was showing mercy and protection when He said no one could kill Cain. I read that in a disciplinary light. Anyway, even the writing isn't as irksome to me in the first 3 lessons. But the 4th lesson bugs me. How odd. I just wanted to update and be fair. I think I'm just going to follow along with her and we can read the passages from Scripture and discuss what was taught. I will also ask the teachers how they present the lesson.

Post subject: Re: Noah and Babel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:14 pm 

Yep, it's the same curriculum. I know in our adult Sunday school class, there are people who like it and people who don't. It is very different than what we've been doing. I've only been going to Sunday school for less than a year, but I think they are all different, depending on your church, denomination, class, etc. I've noticed that Lifeway is primarily Baptist and my church uses Lifeway for pretty much all it's materials. I have found Lifeway to be pretty reliable. But this is a new and very different curriculum, even for Lifeway. I'm sure there are a lot of people that love it and a lot of people who hate it.

You are right about more commentary and less Bible reading. A lot of people don't like that, including my Sunday school teacher. There are things I don't agree completely with in the adult material, but I have been getting a lot out of it so far. It definitely makes me think. I guess it will be the same with the kid's material. I won't agree with everything. It's a 3 yr program and I would not want to stop going to SS for 3 yrs and I haven't seen anything yet that has really disturbed me. The things you posted, I actually don't have a problem with (other than the Noah thing, if they actually taught that), lol, so I guess it just depends on individual beliefs and interpretations.

I am glad you posted that link because I didn't know you could see the full lessons on line. I will have to follow along, too.