It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Anti-semitic?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:43 pm 

Is your church in any way anti-semitic?

I have discovered from past discussions about prejudice that i am not a good discerner of it but i don't believe i've ever encountered anti-semiticism in the churches, or Christians, that i have associated with all my life.

Post subject: Re: Anti-semitic?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:31 pm 

No.

There are individual human beings - Christian & non-Christian who are anti-Semitic.

And, there are some things that people elect to see as anti-Semitic that are not. Jesus was Jewish and *His Own People* wanted rid of him - you can't have a betrayal by an enemy, only by a friend. "He came to that which was His own, but His own received Him not . . ." Imagine trying to portray Benedict Arnold as a foreigner (say a Hessian soldier) instead of on the American side - you'd lose the main point of the story. But does mentioning that he was an American officer mean we're anti-American? Not hardly.

Similarly, some folks paint any modern events in the Middle East as one sided. If you oppose the Israeli government imposing draconian taxes on Christian Churches https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/27/israeli-government-backs-stand-christian-churches/, you're wrongly labeled anti-Semitic.

But, no. Church based anti-Semitism? no. It's another lie of the Evil One - he's been trying to paint Christians with false accusations for *forever*!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:03 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
No.

There are individual human beings - Christian & non-Christian who are anti-Semitic.

And, there are some things that people elect to see as anti-Semitic that are not. Jesus was Jewish and *His Own People* wanted rid of him - you can't have a betrayal by an enemy, only by a friend. "He came to that which was His own, but His own received Him not . . ." Imagine trying to portray Benedict Arnold as a foreigner (say a Hessian soldier) instead of on the American side - you'd lose the main point of the story. But does mentioning that he was an American officer mean we're anti-American? Not hardly.

Similarly, some folks paint any modern events in the Middle East as one sided. If you oppose the Israeli government imposing draconian taxes on Christian Churches https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/27/israeli-government-backs-stand-christian-churches/, you're wrongly labeled anti-Semitic.

But, no. Church based anti-Semitism? no. It's another lie of the Evil One - he's been trying to paint Christians with false accusations for *forever*!

I've noticed that every (practicing) Jew i've knowingly come across seems frightened - especially when they find out we are Christian! I've gone to a few seders and they were polite but not welcoming - which may be different than being "frightened" but dh and i did notice a physical change in one Jewish woman we were talking with.. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:12 pm 

Well, now you didn't ask if I knew any Jews who were anti-Christian! ;)

There is a STRONG skepticism toward Messianic Jews in traditional Jewish communities, IMHO. There is a suspicion that they're sheep-thieves - as evidenced by by this article:
https://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/133926/jewish/Every-Jew-Counts.html

Indeed, I have been party to conversations in Jewish circles that seemed to be taking an anti-Christian turn until someone kindly pointed out to the speakers that there was a Christian among them ;) (BTW - I hold no grudge for such occurrences, EVERY human being has prejudices and I don't fault them for it if they're not egregious :) )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:54 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Well, now you didn't ask if I knew any Jews who were anti-Christian! ;)

There is a STRONG skepticism toward Messianic Jews in traditional Jewish communities, IMHO. There is a suspicion that they're sheep-thieves - as evidenced by by this article:
https://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/133926/jewish/Every-Jew-Counts.html

Indeed, I have been party to conversations in Jewish circles that seemed to be taking an anti-Christian turn until someone kindly pointed out to the speakers that there was a Christian among them ;) (BTW - I hold no grudge for such occurrences, EVERY human being has prejudices and I don't fault them for it if they're not egregious :) )

Yes, i can see the problem with THEM. But one year they came right out and asked me if i had any intentions of causing problems at the seder! :?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:08 pm 

Well, in their defense for asking-

When I was a teen, the local Rabbi offered a class on the History of Judaism. We attended a few sessions (I wish our attendance had been better!). EVERY time we went there was a "Baptist" man who came and spent half the class angrily arguing for Christianity & against Judaism with the Rabbi, while the Rabbi was very kind to him. It was a dreadful thing to have happen, and not a very good "testimony" as Baptists would say it.

Sadly, it might be a fair question for an outsider who just happens to drop by a Seder. :cry: Incidentally, the Bible forbids them to have non-Jews at Seders, so many sects of Judaism simply wouldn't allow you to join them - and rightfully so.

Just reassure them that you're only there to learn/observe, and ask if that's okay :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:51 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Well, in their defense for asking-

When I was a teen, the local Rabbi offered a class on the History of Judaism. We attended a few sessions (I wish our attendance had been better!). EVERY time we went there was a "Baptist" man who came and spent half the class angrily arguing for Christianity & against Judaism with the Rabbi, while the Rabbi was very kind to him. It was a dreadful thing to have happen, and not a very good "testimony" as Baptists would say it.

Sadly, it might be a fair question for an outsider who just happens to drop by a Seder. :cry: Incidentally, the Bible forbids them to have non-Jews at Seders, so many sects of Judaism simply wouldn't allow you to join them - and rightfully so.

Just reassure them that you're only there to learn/observe, and ask if that's okay :)

That's awful! The seders i went to were for the community. I think the point of non-Jews partaking could be argued. But, not tonight. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:25 am 

I realize that your *are* kind of a, well, troublemaker :mrgreen:

But, I cannot help wondering - if they invited the whole community, why did they single you out to question. How did they spot it so fast :? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:45 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
I realize that your *are* kind of a, well, troublemaker :mrgreen:

But, I cannot help wondering - if they invited the whole community, why did they single you out to question. How did they spot it so fast :? ;)

They asked me when i called for information. They didn't know that was ME when i got there tho'. :mrgreen: Maybe there were very few they didn't know? I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:47 am 

It does sound strange, Sis - I mean in all seriousness you ARE a pretty nice person, and they DID invite the whole community. Maybe the lady who asked you was the "eccentric" one in the congregation? (you know, every congregation - whatever Faith - does have "one of those" - if not two or three)