It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:46 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Some Great Thoughts on Christmas Trees
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:05 pm 

yeah- I guess that DOES take care of the video thing! No wonder your Mom was afraid to have a "real" Christmas tree!

I've just been obsessing over the loss of this family- and watching how intensely the local news is covering the story, it seems I must not be the only one. I cannot imagine such a tragedy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:10 pm 

We had a tradition of a tree burning way after Christmas, usually in February timing it with the first annual hard freeze. We'd get out hot chocolate and marshmallows and set up the tree in the backyard and get everyone around so they would not miss it, because once you light it, whoosh, it goes fast.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:58 am 

Sis, except for the tree being part of the idolization Christmas, much of what you wrote is also our thought/practice .... delaying the festive part of Christmas until Christmas day and after. Right now, we're preparing to celebrate His incarnation -- waiting, watching. We put out all our creches without the baby Jesus in them. Our countdown is a figurine of Mary moving day by day closer to the creche (she moves to a new cut-out star for each day, the star for the previous day goes up onto the "sky" background behind the creche so even the sky is preparing ... filling with stars in anticipation of the Christmas star which goes up Christmas eve before we head to the midnight service). We did put up Christmas lights last weekend because we time that with the celebration of St. Lucia's feast day, (a "saint of light"). It's also a preparatory activity. Anyway, just found your comments/practices interesting! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:17 am 

Darla wrote:
Sis, except for the tree being part of the idolization Christmas, much of what you wrote is also our thought/practice .... delaying the festive part of Christmas until Christmas day and after. Right now, we're preparing to celebrate His incarnation -- waiting, watching. We put out all our creches without the baby Jesus in them. Our countdown is a figurine of Mary moving day by day closer to the creche (she moves to a new cut-out star for each day, the star for the previous day goes up onto the "sky" background behind the creche so even the sky is preparing ... filling with stars in anticipation of the Christmas star which goes up Christmas eve before we head to the midnight service). We did put up Christmas lights last weekend because we time that with the celebration of St. Lucia's feast day, (a "saint of light"). It's also a preparatory activity. Anyway, just found your comments/practices interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Oh, love that! :) Why Mary, tho'? It was the wise men that followed the star. ??

Don't you suppose there was quite the entourage with the wise men? We're never told how many wise men there were, of course.

I would like "extended" pieces to the creche that included a young toddler and a modest home where the wise men would find Jesus. :) If I were more artistic I'd try my hand at a bread dough set. I had a friend once that was amazing with bread dough "sculptures".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:34 pm 

Oh, welll, Mary is just slowly making her way to the manger and the stars are the item of choice on which she trods toward it. The big one isn't in the sky so she's not following it or anything. Just meandering. (In other words, we used what we had on hand!) ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:00 pm 

LOL! Gotcha. You could say the Lord was ordering her footsteps, eh?